If you want to contact me in this capacity, feel free to contact me (see the sidebar for details). I’ve enjoyed being part of various public outreach activities in recent years:
- “Life as a postdoc” panel discussion, Amsterdam MSc Students Seminar, June 2019.
- Supervisor in the BNL High School Research Program, Summer 2017.
- “Life as a physicist”, talk to Environmental Sciences High School Interns, BNL, 2017.
- Scientist at “Science Pro Speed Chat” event, High School careers day @ BNL, 2017.
- Moderator, High School Science Bowl, Long Island regional heats, 2017.
- Assistant, MoMath Scientific Programming Series @ BNL, 2016.
- Scientist at “Science Pro Speed Chat” event, High School careers day @ BNL, 2016.
- Moderator, Middle School Science Bowl, Long Island regional heats, 2016.
- Judge, New York State Science Congress High School Science Fair, 2015.
- Moderator, High School Science Bowl, Long Island regional heats, 2015.
- Science judge, Long Island elementary school science fair, 2015.
- Reviewer: APS Journals Phys. Rev. Lett., Phys. Rev. X, Phys. Rev. A, Phys. Rev. B
- Reviewer: IoP Journals New J. Phys., J. Phys. A, J. Stat. Mech.
- Reviewer: Nature Publishing Group Nat. Phys.
- Reviewer: Other Journals SciPost Phys.
- I instigated and organised (along with Jasper van Wezel) the condensed matter theory journal club at the University of Amsterdam (2018-2019).
- I received a 2017 Spotlight Award from Brookhaven National Laboratory.
- Advisor to the 2017 board of the BNL Association of students and postdocs (ASAP).
- Theory representative, Condensed Matter Physics and Material Science Seminar committee, Brookhaven National Laboratory (2016-2017).
- I received a 2016 Spotlight Award from Brookhaven National Laboratory.
- Signee of the OutList, promoting visibility of lgbt+ physicists and making a commitment to diversity in the sciences. Consider adding yourself to the OutList or as an ally to the cause.
- From 2015-17 I sat on the Executive Board of Brookhaven Women In Science (BWIS), a registered 501(c)(3) charity which aims to promote equality in the sciences. I served as the Chairperson of the Chasman Scholarship committee, and I also sat on the subcommittee for the Goldhaber Prize.
- Organisational board member for the 2016 BNL Early Career Researcher Symposium.
- Joint organizer of the 2016 APS Editors BNL site visit – Author and Referee Tutorial.
- Head of the Presentations Committee for the 2015 Young Researcher Symposium, an annual meeting to highlight the contributions of postdocs and students to the research going on at BNL.
- Advisor to the 2016 board of the BNL Association of students and postdocs (ASAP).
- 2015 board member of the BNL Association of students and postdocs (ASAP).
- Student member of the Theoretical Physics computing committee, Oxford, 2013-2014.
- I’m an avid reader of fiction, particular favorite authors include Haruki Murakami, Anthony Burgess, Alexandre Dumas and Herman Hesse. Recently I’ve being interested in poetry, with favourites including Frank Bidart, Ilya Kaminsky, Shane McCrae, Sam Sax, Leah Silvieus, Christopher Soto, James Tate, Ocean Vuong.
- I listen to quite a lot of music, especially jazz. My discogs profile can be found here.
- I like to play squash with friends back in the UK and I jog regularly.
- I also enjoy cryptic crosswords, regularly attempting the one in Private Eye.
- I’m originally from the countryside and enjoy getting out into the greenery and hiking. When I lived in NY state, I hiked in the Catskills and the Adirondacks — both of which I really liked. See below for a photo of me at a summit: